The Practice of Creative Writing
I write in multiple genres—fiction, poetry, nonfiction, memoir, and hybrid—and I am a certified online instructor. I’ve been teaching for over thirty years and I’ve developed a lively, welcoming, student-centered approach to creative writing that teaches the importance of discipline, form, and craft.
In my textbook, you’ll find a three-part method that helps you build a healthy, sustaining practice:
- Begin by developing essential close reading skills.
- Refine your head-game, improve your ability to focus (and get out of your own way).
- Build basic techniques, step-by-step, as you move towards more sophisticated and substantive writing projects.
The Practice of Creative Writing is designed to be used in traditional face-to-face classrooms or online, where students find having a textbook at hand provides continuity and reassuring instructor presence.
New in This Edition
- Innovative readings from Kim Addonizio, Julie Hakim Azzam, Brian Doyle, Beth Ann Fennelly, Ross Gay, Joy Harjo, Terrance Hayes, Lee Herrick, A. Van Jordan, Pablo Neruda, Jamila Osman, Rebecca Roanhorse, Dana Spiotta, Ira Sukrungruang, Thao Thai, and more….
- Flash fiction and micro memoir
- A fresh approach to revision: the strategy of Shape
Teach by genre or teach by writing strategy—the new Practice of Creative Writing has a simple message: writing is challenging and rewarding, and you can do this, and it’s worthwhile to try.